As a part of NISOD’s 2021 International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence (virtual), a panel of community college experts offered concrete steps campus leaders can take to not only recruit students amid this current crisis but also support them on their path to completion.
Moderated by our host David Pluviose, this discussion takes a deep dive into the many impacts, strategies, and messages brought on by this pandemic. We are thrilled to be able to share this discussion in its entirety with you via this episode. Tune in to join the conversation.
Dr. Eduardo J. Padrón
Miami Dade College
Dr. Lenore Rodicio
The Aspen Institute College Excellence Program
Dr. William Serrata
El Paso County Community College District
Diverse: Issues In Higher Education
KEY POINTS / MAIN TAKEAWAYS:
- How has this pandemic impacted community college enrollments compared to previous recessions?
- The impacts of this current pandemic recession on Miami Dade College.
- El Paso County Community College’s response to the decline in enrollments.
- How can we put forth the value proposition of higher education to prospective low-income students?
- How can we effectively assist and reach out to the most vulnerable student populations?
- Strategies implemented to ensure completion of CTE programs in Miami Dade College.
- Pivots in the messaging to community college leaders at the Aspen Institute College.
- Where do the responsibilities of community colleges end?
- Will the changes implemented around COVID outlast the pandemic itself?
- Thoughts on making college education free for all.
“I think especially now is a good time, that there is such disruption, to really rethink the aid packages that are provided to the students and try and refocus those to help support the neediest students.”
“We have to make sure that everyone understands that we’re pretty close to a crisis situation, where we need to get more students to participate for the long term benefit of our community, of our state, and ultimately, our nation.”
PRODUCTS / RESOURCES:
NISOD’s International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence https://www.nisod.org/face-to-face/conference/
Most Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges http://response.diverseeducation.com/digimag
Visit the Diverse: Issues In Higher Education website
Or follow us on Social Media:
In The Margins is produced Diverse: Issues In Higher Education by Instapodcasts (visit at www.instapodcasts.com)