In this episode, we continue our conversation with the leadership at Dillard University in New Orleans, Louisiana. Your host, Ralph Newell, chats with Dr. Kiki Baker Barnes about best practices to empower student-athletes and foster their success in part 2 of the HBCU Leadership at Dillard University series.
Find out what pivots they are making to cope with the effects of COVID-19, Dillard’s efforts to grow the institution’s profile through student athletics, how Dr. Barnes provides student-athletes with an environment to advocate for themselves, and much more.
- Using athletics to grow the institution’s profile
- Dr. Barnes’ definition of success for student-athletes
- Providing a platform for student-athletes to be heard
- Allowing student-athletes to profit from their talents and skills
- Dillard’s approach toward the vaccination and mask mandates
- The type of institutional support required for success
- Supporting students struggling with mental health
Visit the Diverse: Issues In Higher Education website:
Or follow us on Social Media:
In The Margins is produced by Diverse: Issues In Higher Education and edited by Instapodcasts (visit at instapodcasts.com)