Phoenix College (PC) is one of nine schools recognized with Excelencia in Education's 2023 Seal of Excelencia for its commitment to Latino student success.
In this episode, Diverse welcomes PC President Dr. Kimberly Britt. Tune in as Diverse host Ralph Newell and Britt discuss the college's commitment to Latino student success, including its various initiatives in academic and personal development.
Britt also emphasizes the importance of family involvement in supporting students, especially in underrepresented populations, and highlights the impact of programs that go beyond traditional classroom experiences.
Join Britt as she highlights the unique approach PC takes to create an inclusive environment that ensures every student feels valued and empowered.
- Phoenix College's various programs that foster Latino students’ success
- The multifaceted support system of the ACE program
- How the CURE program reduces barriers in STEM education
- The importance of addressing mental health challenges among students and employeess
- The pivotal role of involving families of Latino students in their academic journey
- The significance of self-expression and cultural identity within higher education
- Britt’s shift from a victim mindset to a survivor mindset
"For underrepresented populations and first-gen [students], helping the family understand the importance of education and the journey is just as important as the intentional support for the students." — Dr. Kimberly Britt
“It's important to the students, in a way, to express what's on the inside and — and heal, if necessary, but to also celebrate their heritage, [and] their communities. So, we're doing a lot of work in that space.” — Dr. Kimberly Britt
Dr. Kimberly Britt
2023 Seal of Excelencia https://www.diverseeducation.com/from-the-magazine/article/15635685/2023-seal-of-excelencia
Dr. Kimberly Britt Bio: Dr. Kimberly Britt | Phoenix College
OR FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
X (formerly Twitter): http://twitter.com/diverseissues
WATCH THIS VIDEO AND OTHERS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
Closed captioning and live show transcription are available in the video for this episode.