FBI Identifies Suspect Tied to Bomb Threat Calls on HBCUs

The FBI has narrowed in on one suspect following a string of bomb threats at historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) earlier this year, The Hill reported.FBI Director Christopher WrayFBI Director Christopher Wray

Howard University and seven other HBCUs were targeted on Jan. 5. And by February, 17 different HBCUs had received threats.

This update came from FBI Director Christopher Wray on Nov. 15. He said the FBI now has a suspect in one of the string of calls but is still investigating other threatening calls made to HBCUs. 

“We’ve recently — with respect to the first big tranche of the threats — the investigation has identified an underage, a juvenile subject,” Wray told lawmakers on the House Homeland Security Committee. “And because of the federal limitations on charging juveniles with federal crimes, we have worked with state prosecutors to ensure that that individual is charged under various other state offenses, which will ensure some level of restrictions and monitoring and disruption of his criminal behavior.”

Investigations will continue as cases remain open.

“Since that big tranche that we believe that individual was responsible for, there have been two other tranches,” Wray said. “And we’re very actively investigating those, but there’s not much I can say on those ongoing active investigations, those other investigations, at this time.”

In February, FBI identified six “tech savvy” juveniles who used complex methods to try to conceal the origin of the threats as persons of interest in the case.